Faculty of Engineering

Admission & Aid


Graduate FAQ

The following questions and answers may assist you to learn more about KUAS and to apply our course.


General questions
Academic and curriculum-related questions
Scholarships questions
Application process-related questions


General questions

Q. Do you offer visa support?
A. The KUAS International Admissions Office will help you to acquire a COE (Certificate of Eligibility), which you can then take to the Japanese consulate or embassy in your country to apply for a visa.

Q. What career opportunities can a KUAS engineering degree provide?
A. The facilities at KUAS include a Career Support Center that works closely with all students to acquire satisfactory employment following their graduation.

Q. What will happen to my Japanese visa after I graduate?
A. When a company employs you after graduation, they will assist you in obtaining a work visa. They will begin this process after offering you a job. Japanese working visas are usually one-year, three-year, or five-years in duration, and depend on the company you work for.

Q. What is the cost of living in Japan?
A. The cost of living in Japan is, on average, much lower when compared to North America, Australia, and Europe. Furthermore, in comparison to Tokyo, Kyoto’s cost of living is even more affordable. Students in Japan enjoy many benefits, including socialized student health insurance and discounted meals on campus. Most importantly, university tuition fees in Japan are only a fraction of those in the US, Australia or Europe. All of these factors make student life in Japan far more accessible than you may expect.

Q. How much are living expenses in Kyoto?
A. Average living expenses in Kyoto are typically about 110,000 JPY (916 USD) per month.
Monthly living expense sample
Accommodation (off-campus) 60,000 JPY
Food 35,000 JPY
Personal expenses* 15,000 JPY
Total 110,000 JPY
*Excluding book expenses for classes.

Q. Can I have a part-time job in Japan?
A. If you apply for and receive “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” from the Immigration Bureau, you can work part-time at convenience stores, restaurants, etc. According to Japanese law, students can work up to 28 hours per week.

Q. Can I work on campus?
A. Most undergraduate students will easily find work off-campus. However, if you do not know Japanese, then you may have to wait for about a year to learn the language first. If you are a graduate student, there may be opportunities on campus for you to work as a Teaching Assistant (TA).

Q. What is student housing like?
A.  First-year engineering students will be given the opportunity to live in our International Student Dormitories. Residence Uzumasa A is attached to the South Engineering Building on Uzumasa Campus and Residence Uzumasa B is an apartment-type dormitory located in a quiet residential area, 15 minutes away from Uzumasa Campus on foot. KUAS also has Residence Uzumasa D and E located just a few minutes' walk from Uzumasa Campus. 

Each room is fully furnished, making it easy for international students to begin their lives in Kyoto. Those who wish to live off-campus will find a wealth of private apartments a short walk, bicycle or subway ride away. The staff at KUAS will be happy to assist you in finding these apartments, and more information can be provided before your arrival in Japan upon request. For more information about the dormitories, please see the Dormitory Information page.

Q. Are there any housing options other than the dormitories?
A. Kyoto is famous for being a college town, and there are many apartments, shared houses, and boarding houses to choose from outside of campus. If you do not wish to live on campus, you will need to find a place to live through a real estate agency, etc. KUAS will help you connect with these agencies.

Q. Is Japan a safe country?
A.  In terms of measurable safety indicators, Japan is frequently rated as one of the safest countries in the world. The Economist Intelligence Unit named Tokyo and Osaka the top ranked safest cities in the world in 2019. Moreover, Kyoto is also well-known as one of the safest cities in our already-safe country.

Q. Can I study in English at KUAS in faculties other than the Faculty of Engineering?
A. Not yet, although we do plan on introducing English-language programs in our other faculties in the near future. We will announce these new initiatives via our social media and home page, so please watch those sites for updates.

Academic and curriculum-related questions

Q. Do I need a computer for class?
A. Classes in the Faculty of Engineering are conducted using personal laptops. Therefore, all students are required to bring their own laptops. The recommended specifications for laptops are as follows.
  Minimum  Recommended  
CPU chipset  Intel Core-i5 (6th generation or later) 

ex. Core i5-6200U 
Intel Core-i5 (8th generation or later) or AMD Ryzen (Series 5 or later)
RAM  8GB or more  16GB or more 
Hard disk  240GB   512GB SSD or more 
Network card  IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n support (can be external)  IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac support (built-in) or newer 
Max screen resolution  1600×900 or higher  1920×1080 or higher 
Battery life  8 hours or more  10 hours or more 
Q. Is there a doctoral program?
A. Yes, we offer a doctoral program. Please see our Graduate school’s page for details.

Q. Do you offer an online degree program? Or, are you planning to offer an online degree program?
A. Not at the moment.

Q. How deep is the synthetic approach of your curriculum?
A. Our Faculty of Engineering houses the Department of Mechanical and Electrical System Engineering, which primarily covers fields related to motors and actuators. The chairman of our university is also the CEO of a major Japanese electric motor company. Thus, we focus on the fields related to that industry.
In our Faculty of Engineering, students study 13 fields related to motors and actuators while also taking into account the production processes and products which utilize those technologies. Students thereby gain the skills required to become a specialist in motors and actuators. Students who wish to deepen their understanding of the fields related to mechatronics are encouraged to continue their studies in our Graduate School of Engineering.
In our graduate school, students can focus on four different fields: information, engineering systems, materials, and energy, which are also related to mechatronics.

Q. What type of facilities do you have? What equipment is available to students?
A. Our Engineering Building is equipped with a wide array of facilities, such as machine workshops, 3D printers, and electronic circuit facilities. Please see the Equipment List of Science Plaza and Machine Workshop for our equipments available at KUAS.
Equipment List of Science Plaza and Machine Workshop
If you would like to know if we have a specific type of equipment, please contact us.

Q. I am studying engineering at university right now, but when I checked your website, I was not sure if I could study my field (e.g., civil engineering, aeronautical engineering, etc.) at your school. What should I do?
A. Please consult with your potential research supervisor by e-mail and ask whether your field of engineering can be studied at KUAS.

Q. Does KUAS offer Teching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) opportunities?
A. Depending on the professors, there will be a Teaching Assistant (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) opportunities for graduate students.

Q. If I receive a Ph.D. degree at KUAS, is there any chance that I can become a lecturer or postdoctoral researcher at your university?
A. Receiving a Ph.D. degree and earning a faculty position at KUAS are not directly correlated. You may find a lecturer position based on opening available at the time of your graduation, but this cannot be guaranteed. Becoming a postdoctoral researcher may be a good experience for you prior to finding an academic position, but again, this depends on the availability of openings.

Q. My background is not in engineering (e.g., medicine, chemistry), and I do not have working experience. Do I still have a chance to be accepted for KUAS?
A. Please consult with your potential research supervisor through e-mail and discuss your topic of research. We do not place any limitations on application based on a student’s academic background. Moreover, we are open to students who can bring enthusiasm and fresh ideas from outside our own areas of research. However, first we will need to find out if engineering is really the field for you, and whether you are well-suited to studying at KUAS.

Scholarships questions

Q. How many scholarships do you offer to international students?
A. While the number of scholarships offered to international students differs from year to year, all scholarships are provided to the applicants based on aptitude rather than factors such as nationality, etc. The exact number of scholarships is not disclosed to students.

Q. What sort of test score/GPA would qualify me for KUAS scholarships?
A.  Our scholarship program recipients will be selected by a general assessment performed by our KUAS professors, so there are no specific score requirements.

Q. How do I apply to the KUAS-E scholarships?
A.  Applying for KUAS-E scholarships is very simple, and only requires applicants to write a short statement on their online application.

Q. What other scholarships are available to me besides KUAS-E scholarships?
A. In addition to the scholarships offered by KUAS, there are numerous other scholarships geared specifically to international students in Japan. These are offered both by various associations as well as the Japanese government. The KUAS International Office will provide students with information about these scholarships after they enrolled. For more information about external scholarships, please see our Scholarships Page.

Application process-related questions

Q. What are the application procedures?
A. Please see the Graduate section of our Admission & Aid page for detailed information on application procedures, deadlines, and all other information relevant to your application.

Q. Do I need Japanese language skills at the time of my application? 
A. All engineering courses at KUAS are taught in English, so you do not need to know Japanese before you enroll. After admission, international students take Japanese language classes to improve their Japanese fluency. If English is not your native language, you will need to demonstrate your English abilities by providing your TOEFL iBT (80), IELTS (6.0), PTE (50), or Duolingo English Test (105) score certificate. TOEIC, Cambridge CEFR, and TOEFL PBT or ITP are not accepted by the KUAS Engineering Program as proof of English language ability. Furthermore, JLPT is a Japanese language proficiency test, so we do not accept JLPT scores as proof of English langauge proficiency.

Q. Is the content of Early Entry and Regular Entry the same?
A. Yes, they are the same. We only have one intake per year for international students, which is broken into two different application start dates to accommodate various academic schedules. The procedures are the same, but you may only apply for one (Early or Regular).

Q. If I start an application form online but decide not to apply this year, will my information be saved and kept online for next year’s application?
A. No. You will need to re-write your application.

Q. Are application fees, admission fees, and tuition fees refundable?
A. Tuition fees are refundable assuming there is a valid reason, but application fees and admission fees are non-refundable.

Q. Do I have to pay a deposit prior to enrollment?
A. Yes. After you have received your offer, you must pay an admission fee, a portion of your school fees, an association fee and insurance fee. Please check the Application Guidelines for more details.

Q. How much money do we need to have in our bank account in order to receive a COE?
A. We highly recommend that students have savings equivalent to four years’ tuition and living expenses for the undergraduate course, or two years’ tuition and living expenses for graduate courses. If you are receiving scholarships, then you can deduct that amount from the amount required.

Q. What is pre-application review?
A. Before applying, graduate school applicants are required to submit their CV and research proposal to a faculty member of their choice via our online application portal (TAO). If the faculty member agrees to supervise the applicant’s research, the applicant may then begin their application. See the Application Guidelines on our website for more information.

Q. I have no idea how to write a research plan. What should I do?
A. Please find a subject you are interested in studying among the specialties listed in our faculty members’ profiles, then consult those professors to receive some advice.

Q. Before submitting my CV and research plan during pre-application review, is it better for me to consult with my potential supervisor directly?
A. If you think it is necessary to consult with your supervisor about the content of your research plan with your chosen supervisor, then we highly recommend that you ask them directly by e-mail. However, please do not directly send your CV and research plan to faculty members, particularly with the intention of asking for a scholarship.

Q. May I submit my TOEFL iBT or IELTS result after the application deadline?
A. No. Please submit your TOEFL iBT or IELTS results within the specified application period.

Q. May I submit a scanned or electronic copy of my TOEFL iBT or IELTS results?
A. TOEFL iBT results must be sent directly to KUAS from the testing institution. IELTS results may be submitted to KUAS as a scanned copy.