Faculty of Engineering
Admission & Aid
Undergraduate Admission Policy & Eligibility
Admissions Policy (Undergraduate)
One of the founding principles of Kyoto University of Advanced Science (KUAS) is that education should foster “first-class graduates capable of identifying and resolving issues critical to leading society into the future.” To this end, KUAS seeks applicants who understand the scope of subjects taught by the Faculty or Department of their choice and who desire to deepen their knowledge, further their skills, and acquire the education necessary to make positive contributions to global society. In particular, applicants should:
- have already acquired the basic knowledge and skills necessary for their university studies, at high school or an equivalent institution;
- be able to consider, critically evaluate, and express their opinions on topics related to disciplines such as science, culture, society, nature, and health;
- possess a strong interest in education and technology as well as a desire to learn independently;
- be capable of working with people of diverse backgrounds to acquire new knowledge and skills; and
- desire to acquire an international education and to improve their linguistic skills in English, among other languages.
The Faculty of Engineering seeks applicants who feel motivated by our mission and objectives. Applicants are expected to have a comprehensive understanding of mathematics and physics at the high school level, the ability to think about those subjects logically, and to have basic English communication skills. In particular, applicants should:
- already possess the basic knowledge and skills required to study engineering at the university level;
- be able to consider, evaluate, and express their opinions on topics related to engineering;
- be highly motivated to develop critical thinking skills, and possess a strong interest in engineering;
- be able to work with people from diverse backgrounds, and tackle complicated issues across multiple disciplines; and
- desire to improve their language abilities, and to function as a global citizen.
Applicants MUST fulfill the following requirements of both a) and b):
a) Academic Entry Requirements:
There are two primary academic entry requirements in order to be eligible for our undergraduate program.
Firstly, you will need to have completed a 12-year standard school education or an education corresponding to that such as International Baccalaureate Diploma or GCE A-level.
If you possess or expect to possess different academic qualifications other than the above criteria then please see the Application Guidelines for more specified list of the criteria.
Secondly, we are looking for students that have demonstrated an aptitude for math and physics, and that possess a comprehensive understanding of the following fields at the high-school/upper secondary level:
|Algebra||Polynomials, Factoring, Divisors and Multiples, Sets, Complex Numbers, Equations, Inequalities, Quadratic Functions, Vectors|
|Geometry||Measuring, Coordinates, Triangles, Circles, Construction, Loci, Trigonometry, Lines and Planes in Space, Polyhedrons|
|Pre-calculus||Trigonometric Functions, Exponential functions, Logarithmic functions, Sequences, Mathematical Induction, Differentials, Integrals|
|Statistics||Standard Variations, Scatter Plots, Permutations and Combinations, Probabilities, Binomial Distributions, Normal Distributions, Hypothesis Testing|
|Physics||Force and Motion, Waves, Electricity and Magnetism, Atoms|
*If you are not sure whether your study areas meet the requirements, please contact the International Admissions Office.
b) English language requirements:
You must meet the minimum score to ensure your level of English proficiency. To confirm which tests we accept and the applicable minimum scores, please check our “Application Checklist”.
You can be exempt from having to show your English proficiency if you qualify the below requirements.
-English Language Requirement Exemptions-
・Applicants who have spent the last three years of their formal education studying in following countries.
|U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Ireland, the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales), or Canada (excluding Quebec)|
・Applicants who have obtained an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in English.
・Applicants who completed the last three years of their formal education in English in a country other than the above-mentioned countries may apply for a waiver of the English language requirements.
-Applying for an English Waiver-
Applicants who wish to apply for an English proficiency waiver must request an English proficiecny waiver on their TAO application and upload an English ability evaluation letter from one of their teachers to their TAO application. For more details to apply for an English proficiency waiver, please see the Application Guidelines.